Friday, November 14, 2008

the great Bagel Swindle

earlier this week, i didnt get fooled by a scam that the local coffee chain setup...

i am a creature of habit, i like efficiency, and i dont drink coffee (1 exception to this point). i carry as many bags and suitcases or whatever else i can lug in 1 trip, to empty or load the car in the fewest amount of trips possible. at the start of each week, i bring the items to make my lunch into work instead of preparing it nightly, so i can use those 5 minutes a night to do Anything else. every morning, i hit the snooze 2-3 times. i do this because i like sleeping and the 9 minute snooze is a great thing. i treat these things (and lots of others) as games and i try to do better everytime i play.

following this same line, i go to the coffee chain to get a regular bagel+regular creamcheese, dont toast and dont cut. the routine is get 5 on a monday morning, a weeks worth of breakfast, all obtained in 1 trip. thats all, no coffee, no doughnut and no soda. the only variation on this order, ever, is the quantity. short week, short order. this week, the coffee chain is offering a bagel+creamcheese for .99 with purchase of medium coffee. at first glance, this sounds like a great deal since each bagel+creamcheese is usually 2.09(inc. tax) but then i see that the medium coffee alone is 1.99.

after brief contemplation and some quick math while standing in line, i order the usual... the clerk alerts me to this 'opportunity' by pointing to a sign. i refuse and the clerk stares at me blankly, wondering why i didnt fall into line like the rest of the sheep. she immediately goes into her second attempt, she encourages me to take advantage of this 'deal'. i continue to resist and state " it makes no sense for me, thanks though" the clerk has no idea what to think, shakes her head and takes my $20. but before she makes change, she declares that i will save money by taking this offer, and then asks me "you Do like money, right?" i reply simply, "of course i do and thats why im not participating in this ripoff." she is floored, i get my change and stand off to the side. the clerk gives me the Evil Eye for the next 2 minutes. finally, my order comes up, she calls it out and im on my way to work. just a little bit richer...

for the math-challenged: 10.45tot.<14.90+tax

~Life is Short, Get into it~

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not thewife, I am the wife
get into it

the Deck said...

wah

son of a cook said...

On a side note, one of my good friends alerted me to a fun fact about chicken nuggets.......At McDonculous if you order a six piece nugget, it costs like $2.99 or some shit, however the 4-piece nuggy is on the dollar menue. Therefore you can get 8 nuggets and pay less than you would for 6. Incredible.

Scratch Head said...

Jew.

Although, I guess if you drank coffee like the rest of us you would not be able to tell us these amazing tales! Well done.

Jew

The Great Pyramid said...

Nice ramble Finnie, definately better than the lil bush / baldwin bull. By the way, I am pretty sure it is mathematically challenged!
Peace...

Post a Comment