Monday, December 15, 2008

Pulled over in the Driveway

saturday was a long day: spread some Christmas cheer at Grandmas house, uncomfortably hold a baby, helped to referee a meeting between 4 dogs at our friends’ and then enjoy a great dinner with them...

when we arrived home, i park the truck in my usual spot on the hill in the driveway… (pull up just far enough that the front tires crest the edge of the driveway and this serves as another E brake…) the wife gives me some crap about pulling up to far and being completely on the lawn. in return, i tell her to get out and check where the tires are. she exits the truck and quickly clams up. from her reaction, i realize that i wasnt wrong and walked to the passenger side of the truck to start giving her the Business over it all. i kneel down on the ground to get a better view of my Amazing parking job, pointing at where the pavement meets the grass and after a minute of joking around with her, i notice that our yard is much brighter than usual. as i am standing up, a police cruiser is screeching to a halt in our driveway and the spotlight is brightly trained on our position. now, i have lived in this town for a long time and know some of the local law enforcement, so it wouldn’t have been out of the realm of possibility for an acquaintance to play a prank such as this ~in the past, i have gotten siren wales, some bluelights flashing and the Point as they drive by~ anyway, i mockingly throw my hands up in the air for a second then drop them as i begin to move forward because the cruiser door has opened and there werent any words or any directions. the officer is now out of the vehicle, which turns out to be the K9 unit and the officer has his flashlight in my eyes. the police dog is losing its mind in the back seat and the officer sharply demands to know what we are doing here! in this moment, i realize the officer isnt joking, doesn’t know me from the common perp and immediately i raise my hands again. i tell him we are going home and point to our building. he demands to see my id, i tell him its in my front right pants pocket and ask him if its ok to reach for it. he nods and he asks me: “is this is your truck that we are standing next to” as i reach for my wallet. i confirm that it is and surrender my id. at this point the wife is walking past the cop, still laughing because she thinks the officer is someone i know and this is all a joke. the officer stops her and demands to see her id as well. then he asks me if the truck is mine again and again i confirm its ownership. he gives the identification the once over and asks for the 3rd time if i was the owner of the truck. at this point, i figured he was on the lookout for some criminal who pulled back jobs with the same truck as mine or i was about to participate in a field sobriety test (which i would have passed with flying colors) it is then that the officer realizes we are being truthful, he hands us our licenses back, states that we had looked like we were up to something suspicious and he wanted to make sure we weren’t. i thank the officer for his diligence and exhort him to check anyones id that he happens to find in our driveway!

im really glad i didnt have to use my 1 phone call to leave this story on my voicemail…

~Life is Short, Get into it~

2 comments:

son of a cook said...

I cant say I would have reacted with this much calmness, and I certainly would not have thanked him for his dilligence. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure I would've told him to get fucked and ended up in jail. good work.

the Deck said...

Right!

Post a Comment